Monday, December 1, 2014

Knowing Our Call, Knowing Our Place

The world wide web has created a platform in which all can now have a voice, and for a few dollars; a domain.  Literally, anyone and everyone who has access to a computer can have their own blog, their own video channel, and of course their own wall on social media.  These basic internet amenities are available at no charge beyond what the internet server charges.  Of course, there are more sophisticated opportunities that do have an expense, but the cost is really minimal when compared to a brick and mortar presence with utilities, and hours of operation.  The number of internet businesses is continuing to rise, with the most recent statistics listing over 100,000 bona fide businesses on the net.  Statistics for religious domains and spiritual teachings were not so easy to come by.

In the advent of social media, dating even back to the clubs, groups, and forums days of the early years of this millenium, a presence of authority emerged in tandem with an absence of accountability.  Clearly, human authority can be dangerous when it comes to spiritual matters, but what seems to have truly transpired are a number of folks who have left the authority of real time congregations to assert their own authority on the net.  The authority seems to be aligned with specific topics and of course there are titles!  Titles abound, and I am drawn toward those who do not place an emphasis on titles, especially their own.  I've actually seen individuals who claim three of the five offices.  Y'hshuwah said His sheep hear His voice.  That means anyone following Messiah should be able to hear Him, with or without a title.

Many of the prophets of charismatic television and wannabe megachurch pastors have moved to the internet.  There are about as many internet teachers and converted rabbis as there are students.  More than once I've read posts of former "church ladies" and "heard" Dana Carvey from an old SNL skit.  The watchmen also abound, and clearly they are not all watching the same thing, while many nonbelievers can also see the world is a mess!  When I hear people speak of their anointings, their calls, their office, and their interpretation, I wince.  The call YHWH has placed on any one of our lives is a responsibility, not a title of renown.  For those of us with a specific call to service, we better know what that is, because we will be held accountable.  The title of the call, however; was never and is still not intended to be a "claim to fame."

My heart breaks for so many who feel they have to "officially preach" when they have not been called to do so.  My heart is also heavy for those who are called to speak of YHWH in Y'hshuwah but lack confidence, or make an excuse.  I knew I had a call and the more specific Abba became in the details, the more intimidated I became in the awareness I could not do it in my own power, or my own knowledge.  Although the ministry to which I'm called is busy and seems to cover quite a varied area, there is little formality with the exception of publishing.

There are much better writers, gardeners, knitters, seamstresses, canners, butchers, hunters, herbalists, and the list goes on, but I have a promise in every one of my areas of weakness.  As long as I am where Abba has called me to be, doing what He has called me to do, He has promised His strength in my weaknesses.  I smile as I think of all the weak areas of my life, I can count on His perfect strength.  I don't have to preach from a pulpit to proclaim the good news, and I don't have to cite a title to shout the warning.  The title of my call is my responsibility for which I will give an account.  I simple have to be where Abba has told me to be, and when I've done all, to stand.

And He said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for My strength is made perfect in weakness. . .    

1 comment:

  1. Awesome post. I hear exactly what you are saying. As for me, I have not found my calling yet. In the meantime I will just try to learn what I can when I can. Shalom.

    ReplyDelete