Sunday, March 29, 2015

Living Water

The account of the woman at the well speaks volumes to me, both in my own personal testimony, as well as in outreach ministry.  Messiah struck up more than one conversation with a question and since He knew the heart, He knew the proper approach and what question to ask.  When the woman who met Him at the well, went back to tell the townspeople, she said he told her all she had ever done.  The reality of what is recorded, however; is not a big long generic list, but simply the one thing in her life that was apparently a perpetual failure . . .  Since she was at the well alone, with a track record of many men, I've always considered that she probably didn't have many women friends.  That's not the point, however.

Messiah used water, a simple request for water, to reach her with a greater truth.  One of the first times I heard The Voice of our Shepherd, it was the same words, "for you have had five husbands and the man you are now with . . ."  Although legally bound by state license, it was still literal in may case, as well.  It was truth and it wasn't pretty, but it didn't push me away; it drew me.  My first "official" ministry position was in a blighted section of town, and it was called The Living Water Mission . . . Abba has now given me a vision and parable using water as the image for truth, just as Messiah did with that woman at the well, and this woman in her kitchen.

I was shown four examples.

First a drink of water.  We can offer a glass of cool, crisp water to someone who thirsts.  Many are simply ready to receive the cool refreshing simplicity of the Truth of the Gospel.  They are ready to take it in . . .  In reading the passage in John, we are told the woman left her waterpot to run back to town with the Good News.  She was ready and Messiah made a personal connection with her.  He didn't preach about fornication and adultery, He connected with her.

Next, I was shown a gentle rain, in which I simply held my hands outstretched toward heaven and my entire body, clothes and all drank in that glorious goodness.  Was I ready for more, or did I need more?  Abba knows many of us struggle with "feeling forgiven" . . .  Nearly every religious comment reminds us of past sin. With the gentle rain, came the verse Romans 8:1.  Our feelings are not facts.  Scripture says if we repent and seek His forgiveness, we are forgiven.  That is the fact!

Upon that understanding, He next showed me a creek or spring.  It wasn't deep where I found myself in the vision.  I could see the bottom as I "stood" there in that creek.  The water gently flowed over my feet and ankles and I reached down with cupped hands to bring it to my face.  I felt myself longing to be submerged in that gentle spring, I wanted to find a deeper place.  In that I heard and realized John 8:32

The fourth way of sharing water/truth, I was shown "the ice bucket challenge!"  Remember that last summer?  It was startling and I found myself gasping . . . I felt myself repelled by that water, whereas the other three had drawn me.  Coming into my awareness, however; was the fact for some, the truth is offensive.  Only Abba knows their reasons for that.  In that example, however; no instant Scripture came to mind.  Eventually James 5:20 did come to mind as well as the passages in Jude that speak of "contending."

As I considered what He showed me, I realized only by His Spirit, can any of us reach out as Messiah did with people.  The shared connection is what continued to stand out, in each of these images.  Of course, being sinless, He never related on a "misery loves company" basis but He could relate to being tempted.

  Obviously the woman at the well and I share a past track record . . . Sometimes I do struggle with feeling forgiven of the past, in that reminders loom regularly.  As a swimmer and old lifeguard, I always long to go beyond wading, but this held spiritual significance.  Not everyone, especially those new to the truth, are ready to be in deep water, and we must always bear that in mind.  As for the "ice bucket challenge," obviously there is a time and place.  Some folks apparently do need a shock.

No comments:

Post a Comment